Pahari Roots’ Whole Black Cardamom from Sikkim. Highest quality cardamom in India. Handpicked and smoke-dried with intense aroma. These large cardamom pods are aromatic and can enrich your food with a lovely smoky, earthy and flavorful aroma. Use it in your biryanis, curries and masala blends. The queen-spice to add to your kitchen pantry.
Tags: Indian Whole spices, Garam Masala, Tadka spices, Indian Masalas.
Our other aromatic spices: Stone flower Spice, Bay leaf whole
Time: 45 mins
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Water – 2 cups
Pahari Roots’ Black cardamom pods – 2
Cinnamon stick – 1
Bay leaf – 1
Onion, thinly sliced – 1 medium
Carrot, diced – 1
Green peas (fresh or frozen) – 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Oil or ghee – 2 tablespoons
Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (for garnish)
- Rinse the basmati rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the black cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf. Sauté for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onion and sauté until it turns golden brown.
- Add the diced carrot, green peas, cumin seeds, and turmeric powder to the saucepan. Stir and cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are slightly tender.
- Add the soaked and drained rice to the saucepan. Stir gently to coat the rice with the spices and vegetables.
- Pour in the water and season with salt. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and let the rice cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is fluffy and cooked through.
- Remove the black cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf before serving.
- Garnish the black cardamom vegetable pulao with freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve the fragrant pulao hot as a main dish or as a side with raita (yogurt sauce) or any curry of your choice.
Enjoy your delicious and aromatic black cardamom vegetable pulao!