Our herbal Bay leaf, which locally goes by the name of Sla tyrpad, is sourced from Khasi Hills in Meghalaya. It is a potent herb in the pharmaceutical industry. Grown between November to February in the East Khasi Hills, Sla Tyrpad has largely gone under the radar; a shame really. We want to make more people aware about it and of course, its benefits. We, Pahari Roots, sell this powder directly via the farmers of Meghalaya. They carry out natural farming methods by carefully handpicking the crops.
This herbal spice is grown in the rich soil of the scenic North East Indian state. Also, the eco-friendly farming techniques used by our farmers ensures that the harvest from this region is as safe as it gets. We make sure that everything we are providing you with, is top-notch in quality and flavour. Most importantly, all of our products are not only improving your meals, but also your health.
Pahari Roots' Bay Leaf Powder has:
- High dietary fiber
- Essential vitamins
Sla tyrpad (bay leaf powder) is known to:
- Cure indigestion and related disorders like flatulence, acid reflux
- Lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Help in cancer prevention and treatment
- Regulate bowel movement
- Boost immunity
It can be used for making pickels, sauces, soups, teas and various dishes, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian.
- Rinse dal (lentils) thoroughly with water. Add 2½ cups of water in the pressure cooker with the soaked dal and boil for 10 mins.
- Keep this boiled dal aside and take a pan, heat oil or ghee in it.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- Proceed to add asafoetida, chilli powder and Pahari Roots' bay leaf powder.
- Add grated garlic and ginger, onions, tomatoes, coriander powder, garam masala, Lakadong’s turmeric powder and salt as per your preference.
- Cook for 3-4 mins till all the masalas mix well.
- Finally, add the boiled dal to the masala mix before adding some more water to it.
You will experience an enhanced taste of dal with your Bay leaf powder.
We also offer Whole Bay leaf (tej patta)