Raw jackfruit is a versatile ingredient that can be used in various dishes. Its mild flavour and unique texture make it a great addition to both savoury and sweet recipes.
In savoury dishes, raw jackfruit can be used as a meat substitute, especially when it’s young and unripe. It has a fibrous, meat-like texture that works well in curries, stews, and stir-fries. When cooked, it absorbs the flavours of the spices and seasonings, creating a delicious and hearty dish. You can also marinate and grill jackfruit to make flavorful plant-based pulled “pork” or use it as a filling for tacos and sandwiches. Whether you’re looking to experiment with plant-based cooking or simply want to enjoy a unique ingredient, raw jackfruit offers a world of culinary possibilities. Get creative in the kitchen and explore the delicious flavours and textures that this versatile vegetable has to offer.
Tender Vegan Jackfruit Tacos:
– Raw jackfruit chunks in brine, drained and rinsed – 2 cups
– Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
– Small onion, finely chopped – 1
– Cloves garlic, minced – 2
– Ground cumin – 1 teaspoon
– Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
– Smoked paprika – 1/2 teaspoon
– Chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
– Dried oregano – 1/2 teaspoon
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Vegetable broth or water – 1/4 cup
– Small corn tortillas – 8
– Shredded lettuce
– Diced tomatoes
– Sliced avocado
– Chopped cilantro
– Lime wedges
– Salsa or hot sauce (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the drained and rinsed jackfruit chunks to the skillet. Using a fork or your hands, shred the jackfruit into smaller pieces, resembling pulled pork or chicken.
- Add the cumin, smoked paprika, chilli powder, coriander powder,dried oregano, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir well to coat the jackfruit with the spices.
- Pour in the vegetable broth or water to moisten the jackfruit. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and let the jackfruit simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until it becomes tender.
- While the jackfruit is simmering, warm the corn tortillas in a separate skillet or directly over a low flame until they are soft and pliable. Keep them warm by wrapping them in a clean kitchen towel.
- Once the jackfruit is tender, remove the lid and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow any excess moisture to evaporate and the jackfruit to slightly brown.
- Assemble the tacos by placing a generous amount of the jackfruit filling onto each warm tortilla. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, and chopped cilantro.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the tacos and drizzle with salsa or hot sauce, if desired.
- Serve the jackfruit tacos immediately and enjoy!
Enjoy your flavourful jackfruit tacos!