Spicy Bird’s Eye Chilli Curry
Prep time: 45 mins
Tofu/ Veg/ Chicken (as per preference), cut into pieces – 500 grams
Mustard oil – 2 tablespoons
Onions – finely chopped – 2
Tomatoes, pureed – 3
Ginger-garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
Bird’s eye chilli powder (Thai chilli powder) – 2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Fresh cilantro leaves – chopped (for garnish)
- Heat the oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste to the pan and cook for a minute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and cook for a few minutes until the oil separates from the masala.
- Now, add the bird’s eye chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt. Mix well to combine all the spices.
- Add the pieces of your preserved main ingredient to the pan and coat them evenly with the spice mixture. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let it cook for about 20-25 minutes or until it is tender and cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Once cooked, sprinkle garam masala over it and mix well. Cook for an additional 2 minutes to allow the flavours to meld together.
- Remove the pan from heat and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
Your spicy Mizoram-style curry is now ready to be served! It pairs well with steamed rice & Bamboo Shoot pickle. Enjoy!